In our comprehensive review of the Blix Bike Ultra we’ll take a close look at one of the most beautifully designed and practical fat tire ebikes on the market. There are five compelling reasons to keep the Blix Ultra on your radar and we’ll guide you through what we feel to be the five most important selling points of this bike. From its competitive pricing to its proprietary system for modular racking and accessories our Blix Ultra review will leave you with enough information to decide whether or not to include this model on your shortlist of dual battery, fat tire ebikes.
Top Five Reasons to Get the Blix Bike Ultra
- Excellent Value: Priced at $1,499 (with an optional $1,899 dual battery), the Blix Bike Ultra offers a lot of features typically found in higher-priced fat tire eBikes, including a 750W motor, hydraulic disc brakes, multiple gears, fenders, and integrated lights. There is premium build quality to this ebike.
- Stylish Design: The Blix Ultra gets high marks here due to its mid-step frame, traditional bike look, integrated battery, and overall attractive design.
- Dual Battery Option: This ebike comes in a dual battery option, which is somewhat uncommon among fat tire ebikes. This provides an extended range of up to 80 miles and a total capacity of almost 1,400 watt-hours, making it an appealing choice for long-distance riders.
- Modular Racking System: Like other signature Blix Bikes, the Ultra features a proprietary modular racking system that allows for various accessories. Easily compatible with a Thule child seat, panniers, handlebars for kids, and benches for older children. Front mounting points are also available for accessories like baskets.
- Trusted Brand: Blix is a well-established ebike manufacturer with a presence since 2014. The brand has gained trust in the eBiking community and has over 100 dealer stores across the country, making it easier for customers to access expert assembly and servicing.
- Price: The Blix Bike Ultra, priced at $1,499 (or $1,899 with the dual battery option), may be considered somewhat expensive compared to other ebike options on the market. There are cheaper alternatives out there but not with this level of quality components.
- Acceleration and Power: While the Ultra boasts a powerful 90 Newton-meter torque motor, we felt it was a bit sluggish in terms of power and acceleration. The motor is powerful enough for most riders but may lack enough torque for sustained hill climbing on steeper hills.
Blix Bike Ultra Specs
- Price: $1499 (single battery), $1899 (dual battery)
- Battery: 672Wh (48V) front 1st battery, 672Wh (48V) rear 2nd battery,
- Motor: Rear Hub, Geared, 750W, 90 Nm torque
- Frame type: High-step
- Display: Bluetooth Enabled
- Class: 2 (adjustable to Class 3)
- Throttle: Yes
- Controller: 48V
- Sensor: 12 Magnet Cadence Sensor, BB Mount
- Charger: ST, 48V, 2A
- Shifter: MICROSHIFT 8spd, Thumb Tap trigger shifter
- Crankset: Alloy 170mm
- Cassette: 8spd, 11-32T
- Rear Derailleur: MICROSHIFT 8spd
- Chain: KMC 8psd
- Brakes: ZOOM Hydraulic Disc, 180mm rotors
- Frame: 6061 Aluminum Alloy
- Fork: ZOOM 80mm travel, w/ Lockout
- Headset: 1 1/8″ Threadless Internal
- Wheel & Tire: Chaoyang Big Daddy 26″x4″
- Saddle: Comfort Padded
- Seatpost: 27.2×300mm
- Stem: 50mm, +/- 30°, 31.8mm clamp
- Handlebar: 680mm, 30mm rise, 31.8mm clamp
- Grip: TPR
- Lights: Front 80 LUX, Powered by Main Battery
- Rider Height: 5’2″ – 6’2″ with standover height of 29”
- Weight: 68 lbs (single battery), 76 lbs (dual battery)
- Payload (Rider + Cargo Weight): Rider – <250lbs (113.40kgs), Cargo- <150lbs (68.04kgs)
- Wheelbase: 51”
- Front Cargo Capacity: <50lbs (22.68kgs)
Let’s start with the economics of the Blix Ultra. Priced at $1,499 (with an optional $1,899 dual battery configuration), the Ultra offers an array of high quality features and components, delivering strong value for that price. With all fat-tire ebikes there is a built in expectation that you’re going to get a 750 watt motor, hydraulic disc brakes and front suspension. The Ultra has that and a lot more, including front and rear fenders, integrated front and rear lights, 8-speed gearing, and a handy bell.
The rear hub motor delivers up to 90Nm of torque, which, coupled with the 8-speed gear shifter, opens up lots of possibilities for hill climbing. There are definitely more powerful motors out there, like the ones available on the Magicyle Deer or any of the models made by Electric Biike Company for example, but those are some of the more exceptional motors we’ve reviewed in terms of raw power. To round out the features available here, you also get a thumb throttle, a Zoom front suspension fork with 80mm of travel, a comfort-padded bike saddle and Chao Yang Big Daddy tires that measure 26×4 inches.
Last but not least there’s a proprietary mobile app to track your stats and enhance the basic display you see on the bike’s controller. The Blix Ultra ships as a Class 2 ebike but by adjusting the advanced settings available in the app, it can be upgraded to Class 3 status. This is a high performance all-terrain ebike that doesn’t take shortcuts or skimp on features.
The Blix Bike Ultra boasts a stylish mid-step frame design that blends the convenience of a low-step frame with unique aesthetics. The top tube’s striking lightning bolt-like appearance creates striking angles, setting it apart from other ebikes in the market. The integration of the primary battery into the frame adds an aerodynamic feel. What’s more, the second battery is cleverly positioned behind the seat tube, creating space within the frame for additional accessories like water bottle holders or frame bags.
We are impressed with the Ultra’s high-quality paint job, which adds to its aesthetic appeal but also helps to conceal scuffs and scratches. Not only does this bike shine when it comes to aesthetics; it also provides numerous mounting points for various accessories, making it both attractive and functional.
Dual Battery Option
The Blix Bike Ultra offers a dual battery option, a feature not commonly found in fat-tire ebikes. Each battery provides 672 watt-hours, resulting in a combined riding range of up to 80 miles. Surprisingly, the addition of a second battery only increases the weight by 8 lbs, bringing the total weight to 76 lbs. This dual battery setup not only extends your riding range but also allows for flexibility.
You can switch between batteries using their individual on-switches, making one a backup for longer journeys. Furthermore, both batteries feature a battery indicator gauge, which makes it easy to take a quick visual check on the charge level without needing to engage the controller. The option for dual batteries places Blix Bike squarely at the forefront of ebike companies when it comes to innovation in this area.
Modular Racking System
The Blix Bike Ultra incorporates a proprietary modular racking system that’s designed to enhance versatility and convenience. Blix Bike prides itself on utility and function with their ebikes and this signature capability allows for easy attachment of various accessories. This includes Thule child seats for toddlers (or other compatible brands), safety rails for added protection, handlebars for kids, and a comfortable padded bench for children once they outgrow the bike’s child seat.
One thing we love about Blix Bikes is the attractively styled bags and panniers they offer. These are undoubtedly some of the coolest and beautifully designed saddlebags offered by any ebike company in the market today. Additionally, the Blix Ultra includes front mounting points to provide further customization options, which allow for the placement of front racks and baskets.
Blix Bike, in operation since 2014, has earned its reputation as one of the fastest-growing and trusted ebike brands in the market. With over 100 dealer stores nationwide, Blix has an extensive network, making it accessible to a wide range of customers. This dealer network is particularly beneficial for those new to ebikes and less experienced riders. With a local dealer you can have the peace of mind of having your ebike professionally assembled, ensuring your expensive and powerful ebike is in optimal condition.
You can also count on valuable support for minor repairs, tune-ups, and component replacements, contributing to a hassle-free ownership experience. For consumers seeking reliability and additional safety, Blix Bike’s trusted brand and dealer network make it an appealing option.
In summary, the Blix Bike Ultra impresses with its unbeatable value, stylish design, versatile features, like its dual battery option and modular racking system and the strong reputation of the Blix brand. It’s a top-notch choice for riders seeking a well-rounded and reliable fat tire ebike under $2,000.